Monday, October 19, 2015

Literature's Role in American Independence

I think one of the most valuable things I've gained from these literature courses is a new perspective on literature. I used to find literature boring and pointless but as I've read more and more works of literature by great American and English authors, and done more and more assignments that have helped me to gain a better understanding of what I'm reading, I grown to have a deeper appreciation for literature. It helps to show us where we've been, where we are, and in some ways where we're going.

It is truly priceless and without it we wouldn't be where we are today. My point is best illustrated by two documents that we looked at weeks ago in Pod 2. Thomas Paine's Common Sense, and Thomas Jefferson's The Declaration of Independence were vital works of literature that helped inspire and unite Americans to fight for independence from Britain in 1776.

Common Sense was written by Thomas Paine, expressing his view that reconciliation with England and the Crown was not a wise move for the colonies. He insisted that fighting for independence was their only option and if they were going to do it, now was the time. It was read wide-spread across the thirteen colonies and did much to sway the public opinion in favor of independence.



The Declaration of Independence, a document which everyone in this class should be familiar with, was written by Thomas Jefferson and formally announced American independence as a separate nation from Britain. It outlined the basic rights that we believe every human is entitled to - life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and brought together the thirteen colonies into the United States of America.



Literature is a very powerful thing. In all reality it really isn't much different than the power of the tongue. Once something is written, published, and distributed to the public it's nearly impossible to erase it. It has the power to start wars and end them. In this case, it started the American Revolution in which America defeated Britain and became the great nation we live in today. Literature is far more important and powerful than I originally gave it credit for, but I've learned to respect it and learn from what these great authors have given us to read.





Pictures retrieved from freestatefoundation.blogspot.com and thecommonsenseshow.com

2 comments:

  1. I most certainly agree Tara! Looking at the journals, sermons, and some of the political documents that we have read through this course, I must admit that these literary works have given me a better understanding of the societal eras of history. Literature can boring sometimes to me as well depending on what I'm reading. However, I love discovering where we've been, and why we're here in our American lineage through the works of first-hand observers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you explain to us about the declaration and that everybody should know its content. This is so important and I think that we should spend more time one it in our education systems. This document has such beautiful language and you can't help but feel honored knowing this document is part of your history. We should all ask our selfs what we really know about the declaration and maybe we can learn go read it to something new.

    ReplyDelete