Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Heav'n Rescued Land

The Star-Spangled Banner

O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
’Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - “In God is our trust,”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

This song was written by Francis Scott Key, an American lawyer and amateur poet, in September of 1814.  He penned the lyrics while being detained by the British aboard an American vessel during the War of 1812. He was inspired to write the lyrics by watching a violent, large-scale attack on Fort McHenry that the British had launched. Certain that the British would take the fort, Key was surprised and awed to see the American flag still "gallantly streaming" through "the dawn's early light." The War of 1812 forced England to officially recognize America's status as an independent nation and it also produced what would become our national anthem years later. Originally is was titled "Defense at Fort M'Henry," but of course now we know it as "The Star Spangled Banner." I think the last verse has to be my favorite. I love how he gives the glory back to God for their victory and refers to America as "the heav'n rescued land" and proclaims our motto as "In God is our trust" which we still use today. 








Info: Smithsonian.com

3 comments:

  1. Tara, I have to admit that reading your post gave me goosebumps! I did not know all of the verses to our national anthem, but reading the poetic lines of Francis Key reminded me of the founding of our nation. I am so proud to live in the United States of America. Also,reading our anthem made me think more about the words. I'm so glad that our forefathers refused to give up the price of freedom. My favorite line is indeed your's as well. And this be our motto- "in God is our trust"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this, many people out there have no idea that there are many more verses to the Star Spangled Banner than what we know. I can only imagine how powerful of an image it would have been to see the flag still standing after a enormous battle. These stories are our history and I hope many will see your post and learn about our nations anthem. We should all be proud of what the great men in our history have done so we can have freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gives me chills. When my husband was coaching varsity girls basketball and I was the scorekeeper for the Lady Trojans, of course the National Anthem was played before the varsity game. I would rise behind the scorer's bench, place my hand over my heart, and have tears in my eyes as the band played and the people around me sang. All of the anticipation of the game, even being in a high school gym, would slip away and I would always remember not only the meaning behind the song, but the countless men, including my father, and women who have fought so this flag could wave and so we could sing before each and every game. Of course there is so much more to our freedoms than singing before a basketball game, but just the focus on the flag and the anthem is always very moving to me. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete